Sunday, October 13, 2013

A to Z Survey

Hi, Readers!

       I was recently exploring some other Young Adult book blogs, and I found a neat post by Jamie at the Perpetual Page Turner.  She created an A to Z Survey about books that she has read, and I thought it would be fun to give it a try.  Each book that I mention in this survey has a link to Amazon Books.  Just click on the title for more information.

Author you’ve read the most books from:

Rick Riordan.  His mythological novels about Greek and Egyptian mythology, such as the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, are all page turners.  It impresses me how Rick Riordan is able to write about relatable teenagers having out-of-this-world adventures while keeping the novels historically accurate.

Best Sequel Ever:

Catching Fire, Book 2 in the Hunger Games series, by Suzanne Collins.  I actually think that this book is better than both the first and the third novels.  The arena is much more exciting, and the characters have more in-depth relationships.  Plus, Katniss is not scared out of her mind all of the time.  Can't wait for the movie!

Catching Fire

Currently Reading:

OCD, the Dude, and Me, by Lauren Roedy Vaughn.  It is written in the form of essays and diary entries, and the main character's voice really shines through the writing.

Drink of Choice While Reading:

WATER!  Gotta stay hydrated.  I actually prefer to have a snack while I am reading, and I need something tasteless to wash it down.

E-reader or Physical Book?

Physical book.  I am a hater of E-readers.  What if technology failed and I was left with no books to read?  I guess I just like to hoard the actual books in my room.  Turning the pages of a book is part of the reading experience.

Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Been Friends With In High School:

Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series.  Although she is a bit of a know-it-all (see bleow), she always excels in her academics and likes to participate in school events, such as starting her own club for House Elf rights.  Plus, she is super loyal to Harry Potter throughout all of the novels.  She sounds like a great friend.  And by the way, I have the same middle name as Hermione!

Hermione

Glad You Gave This Book A Chance:

The Giver, by Lois Lowry.  This title is older and a school required reading book, so I figured it would be boring.  However, the plot line is ingenious.

Hidden Gem Book:

Dream Factory.  I reviewed this book a little while ago.  Click here to check it out.  The characters in Dream Factory all have realistic quirks, and the plot line is fabulous.

Important Moment in your Reading Life:

When I actually like reading a school required novel.  It doesn't happen often.  I enjoyed reading Lord of the Flies, and I also liked The River King.

Just Finished:

School Spirits, by Rachel Hawkins.  A monster-fighting teen attending public high school for the first time ever makes a great back-to-school book.

Kinds of Books You Won’t Read:

Non-fiction!  That's what the Internet is for.  Just kidding, but I don't ever look in the non-fiction section for books.

Longest Book You’ve Read:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by J.K. Rowling.  870 pages of pure reading bliss.  Even if this book was one million pages, I still would have read it in a day.

Major book hangover because of:

Life As We Knew It, by Susan Beth Pfeffer.  This book is so haunting that it kept me up until midnight just thinking about the world.

Book Hangover

Number of Bookcases You Own:

One and a half.  One is mine, and one I share.  The books on the shared bookcase are all for younger readers, so they have been untouched for quite a long time.

One Book You Have Read Multiple Times:

The Magic Faraway Tree, by Enid Blyton.  My grandmother's friend brought me this book from England when I was probably 8 years old, and it's stories are so silly that I could read them over and over again.

Preferred Place To Read:

Somewhere new.  I love reading in different places.  If I randomly disappear one afternoon, it is probably because I have found new place to read.  By a pool, on a rock, in the guest bedroom, etc.  Also, I read in bed every night.

Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you’ve read:

"The worst thing about new books is that they keep us from reading the old ones."
- Joseph Joubert

Reading

Reading Regret:

That all books aren't movies.  If I read a book that I love, I want to see how other people would adapt it into a movie.  I like seeing the cast of characters and comparing it to the visions I have in my head.

Series You Started And Need To Finish(all books are out in series):

A lot.  I will read the first book in a series, tell myself to put the next book on hold at the library, and then completely forget about it.

Three of your All-Time Favorite Books:

Unapologetic Fangirl For:

The Fablehaven series, by Brandon Mull.  Best series ever.  More people should read it because it is awesome.  These two kids visit their grandparent's secret preserve for magical creatures.

Very Excited For This Release More Than All The Others:

Independent Study, by Joelle Charbonneau, the sequel to The Testing.  It is coming out this fall!

Fangirling

Worst Bookish Habit:

Flagging the pages of books.  I feel awful when I do it, but I never have a bookmark handy.

X Marks The Spot: Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:

Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow.  I actually lost the dust cover on this book, so it just has a red hardcover.

Your latest book purchase:

Divergent, by Veronica Roth.  I don't usually buy books, but this one is a keeper.  Libraries are the way to go for books that I haven't read before.  Check out my review of Divergent by clicking here.

ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):

Every single book that I read!  Whenever I tell myself, "I will read one more page and then go to bed", I usually end up reading another chapter before realizing my mistake.

Cat

Hope you enjoyed reading this A to Z Survey.  All of the books that I mentioned are some of the best ones that I have recently read, and I recommend that you read them as well.

Read on,

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your answers! I absolutely ADORED Life As We Knew It, definitely one of my favourites! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to ask questions or say whatever is on your mind.